Overcoming Depression and low mood is a series of workbooks for use by people experiencing depression and low mood. Each workbook has been designed to offer essential jargon-free information, designed to bring about change in how the person thinks and in what they do in order to improve how they feel.
NB. The books contain a licence which allows you to copy the reources for you in your own life.
* NHS England Book Prescription scheme recommended book for depression.
* Awarded the prestigious Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapy self-help seal of merit
* Major clinical research trial supports the effectiveness of this book, This book is one of the few self-help books available that has been researched using the gold-standard randomised controlled study design. This found that people using the book with 3-4 short support support sessions from a support worker were far less depressed, more able to live their lives and had significantly higher well-being than those receiving usual treatment for low mood in general practice.
Understanding why you feel as you do
– Starting out … and how to keep going if you feel stuck
– Understanding why you feel as you do
Making changes to do with people and events
– Practical problem solving
– Being assertive
– Building relationships with your family and friends
– Information for families and friends – how can you offer the best support?
Making changes to behaviours and activity levels
– Doing things that boost how you feel
– Using exercise to boost how you feel
– Helpful things you can do
– Unhelpful things you do
– Overcoming anxiety and avoidance
Making changes to negative and upsetting thinking
– Noticing and changing extreme and unhelpful thinking
Making changes to things that affect your bodily well-being
– Overcoming sleep problems
– Alcohol, drugs and you
– Understanding and using anti-depressant medication
Making changes for the future
– Planning for the future
Reviews of the 2nd edition: Masud Awal in Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy (2008), 36:248-250 Cambridge University Press
” In summary, I do not think you would go far wrong if you considered this a first port of call when looking for a CBT self-help book on depression“.
We include free postage/shipping within the UK only.
Living in North America: We ship to America for an additional charge but if you prefer you can order from Amazon and Barnes and Noble
The Polish version of the book is available from:
The Dutch version is available from: